Current volunteer vacancies
There is a range of ways that you can get involved as a volunteer at Guide Dogs SA/NT. Each of our Volunteers makes an important and valuable contribution to the work of our organisation. Do you have some time to dedicate to assisting us?
Please check here regularly to find out what volunteer opportunities are available.
Guide Dogs SA/NT is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace inclusion and recognise the importance of cultural diversity.
PUPPY RAISING VOLUNTEERS
We are currently seeking Puppy Raisers to care for a Guide Dog puppy from 8 weeks for 12-14 months. Our Puppy Raisers play a vital role in the development of our puppies as they transition towards a potential career as a Guide Dog.
Before submitting an expression of interest please ensure that you fit the criteria listed below:
- Able to commit time to attend weekly training sessions across metropolitan Adelaide during business hours
- Work part time or less – the puppy cannot be left for any longer than 4 hours per day (less with puppies under 6 months of age)
- Integrate the puppy into your life and day to day routines
- Dedicating time to socialise the pup to new environments as directed
- Commitment from all family members to follow instructions on early development
Health and Safety of Volunteer and Puppy
- Able to physically handle a 30kg dog on a lead
- Previous handling or ownership of large breed dogs is desirable
- Physical ability to perform repetitive tasks such as squatting, kneeling, bending & lifting
- Secure yard with fencing a minimum height of 1.5m
- Pools, spas and ponds are fully enclosed
- Removing of all dangerous plants + poisons
- Groom and health check (with guidance from your Puppy Raising Advisor) the puppy on a regular basis
- Commitment to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of the puppy is not compromised while in your care
- All members of the household agree to raise a puppy
- Are children of school age? (e.g. 5 years and older)
- Pets at home to be approved
- Is anyone at home allergic to dogs?
- Is the household prepared to clean up after the puppy e.g. toileting accidents and dog hair, occasional chewing may occur?
- If you rent, do you have permission from either a Landlord or Body Corporate allowing animals on the premises?
If you feel that you fit the criteria required to become a Puppy Raiser, please email an expression of interest to the HR Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
Drivers licence and a car are required.
A police clearance will be required for successful applicants who are 18 years or older.