My NDIS - South Australia
Guide Dogs SA and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
When can I access the NDIS in South Australia?
The NDIS is being rolled out at different times across Australia.In South Australia, the scheme has been available for children up to 14 years of age since February 2016. Between January 2017 and April 2018, the scheme will be progressively rolled out across the state to those under 65 years of age.
You can find out more about the roll-out across South Australia here.
NDIS Participant Information Pack for SA Residents
The NDIS Information Pack provides a comprehensive overview of the NDIS for participants in South Australia.
How can Guide Dogs SA help me?
Guide Dogs SA is a registered NDIS provider, and our experienced staff are here to help you navigate the NDIS.
Our range of services aim to enhance the quality of life of children and adults with sensory disability (including vision loss and hearing loss) and families of children living with autism. We can help you in the following ways:
- Understanding how the NDIS may help you.
- Preparing for your NDIS planning meeting.
- Identifying goals and needs which the NDIS may assist with, including determining how your vision or hearing loss impacts your daily life.
- Supporting you through the planning and review process to ensure you make the most of your entitlements and understand your NDIS plan.
- Providing ongoing support through your NDIS plan such as coordinating your services and providing assessment and intervention services.
What sorts of NDIS services can Guide Dogs SA provide?
Our experienced staff are registered to provide a range of services to children and adults with individual sensory needs through the NDIS. Examples include:
- Guide Dog Services
- Autism Assistance Dog Services
- Orientation and Mobility Services
- Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy Services
- Sale and prescription of assistive aids and equipment for vision and hearing loss
- Hearing Services
- Case Management Services, including Coordination of Supports
We understand that everyone’s NDIS plan is different, and Guide Dogs SA is experienced in working with clients with vision and/or hearing loss to ensure our services assist you to meet your NDIS goals. Examples of the ways we can support you through your NDIS plan include:
- Building your independence in the home and community (e.g. developing skills to support activities such as cooking, shopping, using public transport).
- Increasing your participation in social and community activities.
- Providing links with other services to help you maintain your independence.
- Training in the use of a mobility aid such as a cane, electronic device or a Guide Dog.
- Supporting you to achieve your life goals, such as living independently.
- Prescription and training in aids and equipment for the home and community, including workplace modifications if you are currently employed or seeking work.
Guide Dogs SA can support you during the NDIS planning process, giving you confidence that your plan will help you meet your individual goals. If you wish, you can nominate Guide Dogs SA as your preferred service provider for your services on your NDIS plan. You may wish to speak with your planner to request Guide Dogs SA undertake a Specialised Assessment to ensure your identified needs are included in your NDIS plan.
Case coordination services / Coordination of Supports
We are a registered provider of NDIS Coordination of Support services, which means we can act as your single point of contact, and help coordinate all of your services from different service providers on your behalf. We can also help you link you into other services. This service is funded by the NDIS and can help you make sense of your entitlements and the services available to you.
Our team of skilled professionals are experienced in supporting people with complex needs, including those at risk of homelessness or extreme social isolation, by providing information and linkages with appropriate services and agencies to assist those with vision and/or hearing loss to maximise their independence.
For more information about our Coordination of Support services, you can access our information sheet:
Support in the Workplace
If you are currently employed or seeking employment, Guide Dogs SA can help you access support and equipment for use in your workplace. We provide a tailored, individualised and goal-focused workplace equipment service for people with vision and/or hearing loss, to help you reach your NDIS goals. Please contact us to find out more.
Guide Dogs SA is here to support you. The best time to get in contact with us is before you meet with your NDIS planner, but our experienced staff can provide assistance with the NDIS process regardless of whether you’re preparing for your NDIS planning meeting, already have your plan, or are transitioning over from an existing disability program.
We can answer your questions over the phone, and we offer individual NDIS appointments tailored to your needs. You may also wish to register to attend a Guide Dogs NDIS information session.
To find out how Guide Dogs SA can support you through the NDIS, please contact:
Phone: 1800 757 738
SMS: 0457 521 521
If you prefer, you can submit an enquiry via our Online Enquiry Form
For more information about how Guide Dogs SA can provide NDIS services in South Australia, please access our Information Sheet: