Guide Dogs offers Occupational Therapy (OT) Services to enable people of all ages living with a sensory impairment to increase independence, confidence and safety in their daily living activities. Eligible people may be:
- vision impaired
- dual sensory
Occupational Therapists at Guide Dogs provide clinic or community based services to clients. Primarily our clients receive comprehensive home-based goal focused Occupational Therapy programs.
Our individualised client programs may include strategies and adaptive aids to empower and assist clients in:
- Communication skills – using the telephone, computer, reading, writing, and signing documents
- Community skills – shopping, banking, using an ATM and identifying coins and notes
- Personal care skills – personal hygiene, grooming, dressing (including identifying clothes)
- Domestic task skills – meal planning and preparation, laundry and cleaning
- Home safety and environmental recommendations – advice about safety in the home, trip hazards, home modifications and using contrasting to complete tasks
- Transition from school/study and life skills
- Education and training on adaptive equipment – aids to assist easier completion of tasks, e.g. timekeeping aids, such as talking and large print watches
- Vision advice – for clients, staff, families and other community members; also advice available for hospital therapists completing home safety recommendations regarding safe discharge
- Falls prevention assessments and intervention
- Lighting assessment – recommendations provided to maximise vision with advice about best type and amount of lighting.
We are also registered service providers for the following program: