What is My Aged Care?

If you’re over 65 years old, My Aged Care is the starting point for you to access funding supports through the aged care system. My Aged Care provides a single point of contact for older Australians entering the aged care system –and your carers and family members – to ensure you can easily find and access the right government-funded services to support your independence.

You can register with My Aged Care by contacting their help line on 1800 200 422. The team at My Aged Care will gather some details about your situation and the supports you rely on, and then connect you with an aged care assessor in your local area who will manage the rest of your registration.

Learn more about applying for My Aged Care

Little asian girl getting a piggy-back from her grandfather with low vision.

Who is My Aged Care for?

If you are aged 65 or older, funded supports are accessed through the aged care system. Registering with My Aged Care is the first step towards accessing these funded supports.

When you register with My Aged Care, a record is created with a summary of your personal situation. As you progress through an aged care assessment towards receiving services, your summary will be shared with the people involved in coordinating your support, so you don’t have to keep repeating your story to different people.

A woman is smiling and speaking on the telephone

How can Guide Dogs help?

Guide Dogs SA/NT is a registered My Aged Care provider of ‘Specialised Support Services – Vision’ for people who are blind or vision impaired. Our services are delivered through the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP).

Our CHSP funded Specialised Vision Service offers:

  • A specialist, vision-focused functional assessment of your needs, related to your goals, conducted by an Occupational Therapist or Orientation & Mobility Instructor
  • A summary of your specialist assessment
  • Development of an individualised personal program for Occupational Therapy or Orientation & Mobility training

Who is eligible?

If you would like to increase your independence, you may be able to access our Vision Services with a CHSP referral if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are registered with My Aged Care
  • You are considered eligible for CHSP services by a Regional Assessment Service (RAS)
  • You are aged 65 years and over, or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
  • You are blind or vision impaired (diagnosed eye condition which is not correctable by prescription lenses) with a functional impact on daily living and independent travel

Guide Dogs SA/NT CHSP Specialised Vision Services are supported by the Australian Government Department of Health. Provision of CHSP funded services is subject to availability within Aged Care Planning Region allocations.

CHSP requires a client contribution for service to ensure that those clients who can afford to contribute to the cost of their care do so, while protecting those in need of additional support. Learn more at www.myagedcare.gov.au

Common questions about My Aged Care

Other funding support

In addition to My Aged Care, we can help you explore alternative funding pathways. For more information about funding support, contact our Client Services team: