What are Low Vision Services?
If you’re living with vision impairment, our team of Low Vision Specialists can offer assessments, support and advice to help you develop skills for living independently and achieving your goals.
We provide all kinds of insights and guidance to support you. Depending on your individual needs, our Low Vision Specialists can:
- Provide education for you, your family, and friends: with general insights and information about eye conditions and techniques to maximise your remaining functional vision.
- Conduct functional vision assessments: for people of all ages, including children who are pre-verbal, to establish a better understanding of a person’s level of functional vision and deliver more appropriate care. Vision assessments can include visual acuities, visual fields, contrast sensitivity, colour vision, binocular vision, and ocular movements.
- Make various recommendations based on assessments: to support your other allied health practitioners in their delivery of services or care.
- Advise you on appropriate visual aids: including optical and electronic magnification to assist with reading, writing, or working on computer screens.
- Guide you on focal and overhead lighting or glare-related issues: particularly in relation to lighting at your home, school, or work.
- Provide training to improve your functional vision: including techniques such as ‘eccentric viewing training’, which can be useful in minimising the effects of blind spots or blurred vision.